Low Carb Diet Recipes and Snacks
Eating a low carb diet for weight loss is not impossible, and no I did not say a NO carb diet. Your body still needs carbs for fuel, we just need to find some low carb diet recipes along with some snack ideas.
- Turkey and Cheese Roll-Ups
- Large Artichoke
- Side Salad with Hard-Boiled Eggs or Avocado
- Peanut Butter and Celery Sticks
- Fast-Food (or homemade) Caesar Salad with grilled chicken (NO dressing)
- Handful of Nuts
- Edamame (Personal Favorite)
- Carrot sticks and Hummus
- Soy Latte (either iced or hot)
Those are some simple snacks for you that are low carb. Personally I would steer clear of the fast food line regardless.
Creamy Lemon-Pepper Orzo with Grilled Chicken
- 1/4 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup whole wheat or other whole grain orzo
- 1 cup frozen petite peas, thawed and patted dry
- 2 ounces finely crumbled goat cheese, at room temperature
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs, such as basil and tarragon
Whisk together the yogurt, 2 teaspoons of the oil, garlic, lemon juice and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper in a medium bowl until well combined.
Bring a pot of water to a boil and preheat an outdoor or indoor grill to medium heat. Rub the chicken thighs with the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon pepper and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Grill until nicely marked and cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes per side. Transfer to a cutting board at let stand for at least 5 minutes.
Add the orzo to the boiling water and cook according to package directions for al dente, stirring in the peas the last minute of cooking. Drain the orzo and peas, reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid. Stir the orzo and peas into the yogurt mixture, along with the goat cheese, 3 tablespoons of the fresh herbs and at least 3/4 cup of the cooking liquid, until well combined. Transfer to a platter.
Thinly slice the chicken and arrange on top of the orzo. Sprinkle with the lemon zest and the remaining 1 tablespoon fresh herbs and serve.
Per Serving: Calories: 317; Total Fat: 9.5 grams; Saturated Fat: 3 grams; Protein: 21 grams; Total carbohydrates: 37 grams; Sugar: 4 grams; Fiber: 6 grams; Cholesterol: 50 milligrams; Sodium: 266 milligrams
Bobby’s Baked Tilapia
- Butter cooking spray
- 4 (6 to 8-ounce) tilapia fillets
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 lime, finely grated zest and juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a large cast iron pan with a nonstick butter spray.
Rinse fish and pat dry; place on the cast iron pan. Season each fillet with salt, cracked pepper, lime zest and lime juice. Add fish to the pan. Place a pat of butter on each fillet and cook in the oven for 8 to 12 minutes.
Per serving: Calories: 272; Total Fat: 10 grams; Saturated Fat: 5 grams; Protein: 46 grams; Total carbohydrates: 1 grams; Sugar: 0 grams Fiber: 0 grams; Cholesterol: 129 milligrams; Sodium: 264 milligrams