Vegan Diet Recipes
Vegan Diet Recipes
Serves 4 to 6
- 1 pound cherry or grape tomatoes
- 6 to 8 scallions
- 20 fresh basil leaves
- 1/8 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces organic whole-wheat fusilli, penne, rotini, or spaghetti
- 2 ripe avocados
- Wash the cherry tomatoes and remove and discard any stems. Cut the tomatoes into quarters, put into a large bowl, and set aside.
- Wash the scallions. Remove the root ends and any dark or discolored leaves.
- Cut both the white part and 3 to 4 inches of the green tops into small pieces and add to the tomatoes. Toss to combine.
- Wash the basil, shake off any excess water, and wrap in a paper towel to dry.
- Tear the basil leaves into small pieces and add to scallions and tomatoes.
- Add the olive oil, salt, and pepper to the bowl and toss well.
- Using the back of a metal spoon, lightly press the tomatoes to break them down and extract some of the juice. Toss again.
- Cover the bowl with a sheet of wax paper or plastic wrap and let it stand at room temperature.
- Cook the pasta until al dente according to package directions. Drain the pasta in a colander. Add to the tomato mixture. Toss to combine.
- Lay an avocado on the cutting board. With the tip of a sharp knife, start at the stem end and cut lengthwise down the avocado and up the other side. Remember that there is a large pit inside, so don’t try to cut through the flesh.
- Pick the avocado up and, holding it in both hands, twist it in opposite directions to separate the halves. Scoop out the pit with a tablespoon and discard. Scrape out the avocado pulp and cut into small chunks. Add it to the bowl with the tomato mixture. Repeat with the remaining avocado.
- Gently toss the salad until all the ingredients are combined. Arrange the salad on a serving platter. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Fast Fruit Skewers
- Fresh strawberries, trimmed
- Bananas, peeled, cut into thick slices
- Chocolate sauce
- Toasted coconut
- Thread strawberries and bananas onto skewers and set on a serving platter.
- Drizzle some of the skewers with chocolate sauce and top with toasted coconut
Simple Skillet Pear Pie
- 3 pounds ripe but firm pears, cored, sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 vegan pie crusts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine pears, cinnamon, cloves, and granulated sugar.
- Melt coconut oil in a 10-inch cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add brown sugar and cook, stirring constantly, until sugar dissolves.
- Remove skillet from the heat and press one of the pie crusts into the skillet.
- Place pear mixture in skillet. Top with remaining pie crust, sealing the edges of the bottom and top crusts together.
- Slice vents in the top crust with a sharp knife. Brush with water and sprinkle with granulated sugar.
- Bake for 1 hour or until crust is golden. Place foil on top if crust begins to brown too quickly.
- Cool on a wire rack for at least 30 minutes. Serve warm.