Food is the first thing that comes to our mind with regards to proper nutrition but are we conscious with regards to the importance of proper food and nutrition to our health. No; because some things may influence the food we select that’s the reason sometimes many amongst us have ailments and acquire illnesses resulting from poor nutrition that is the reason education is needed regarding proper nutrition.
Humans are complex organisms that need nutrients to sustain the bodily requirements in order to have health and function properly and food is the most essential requirement for human survival as it is a substance that is either eaten or drunk to supply nourishment to the body or for pleasure purposes. The required nutrients such as carbohydrates, fats, proteins, vitamins or minerals found in food that comes from other living organisms such as plants and animals or products, produce energy, replenish old cells, stimulate growth and keep homeostatic life.
To comprehend better we should know the difference of macronutrients from micronutrients and Macronutrients are nutrients that are consumed by humans in large quantities and categorised into smaller substances through digestion and provide bulk energy and are consisting of carbohydrates, fats and proteins.
- Carbohydrate – are made of units of sugar and they are the main supply of energy for building power for human body.
- Fats – are generally triesters of glycerol and fats which store energy, give insulation to the body and assist in the transmission of nerve impulses.
- Proteins – are chains of amino acids which provide the building material for the growth and repair of tissue and they also act as enzymatic catalyst. Amino acids are classified into two groups; essential and non- essential amino acid. Essential amino acid – are the ones we must obtain in our diet, because our body can’t make them. Non essential amino acid – are the ones our body can produce and manufacture.
Vitamins and minerals on the other hand are examples of micronutrients which are required by humans and other living things throughout life in small quantities.
Vitamins – are nutrients needed in small amounts by an organism which has diverse biochemical purposes that are essential to our health.
Minerals – are important nutrients for growth and maintenance of structures of our body
Now, here are a few tips to obtain proper Nutrition:
Note: Eat smart; opt for healthy and nutritious food.
- Eat at regular intervals to keep sugar levels stable, skipping meals won’t do any good.
- Drink adequate amount of water, aim for 6-8 glass of water, this will keep you hydrated.
- Eat a lot of fish like tuna and mackerel as they contain omega 3 oil.
- It is not necessary to avoid meat in our diet, instead eat only the leaner part.
- Eat lots of vegetables and fruits as this will aid digestion and nourish the body.
- Buy probiotics as this will help in restoring good bacteria in our body that aids in digestion.
- Buy low fat versions of dairy products such as milk and cheese as dairy products are high source of fat and cholesterol contents, but provide nutritional benefits.
- Avoid alcohol and nicotine from cigarette smoking.
- Avoid as much as possible processed foods, especially junk food.
- Exercise regularly; exercise helps and enhances physical fitness and over all health and wellness.
- Get plenty of sleep and relaxation to minimize fatigue and stress.
- Practice Good hygiene as regular Bathing and Hand washing reduces the risk of getting sick.
- Take food and vitamin supplements because this will aid in maintaining good functioning of the body.